Saturday, July 28, 2012

Butternut Squash


    Well this week was a bit pressed for time to make something very fancy for my ‘cooking’ challenge, but I did get to experiment with a butternut squash on Thursday evening! Also known as ‘pumpkin’, it’s a gourd (reminds me of a sweet potato) with pumpkin-looking seeds inside.  I cut it in half, stuck it in the microwave for about ten minutes (?) until it was soft, then I stirred up the squash part and added some veggies, topped it with cheese, then stuck it in the oven for another ten-ish minutes to melt the cheese. I also found some leftover meat from my party last weekend, so I heated that up and put it on top like ground beef. No recipe for this one, but I got the idea from Elise after she brought one to a braai and stuck it on the fire to cook. Turned out great, although it doesn't look very appetizing, but very yummy and filling; would definitely make it again!


2 comments:

  1. Looks pretty tasty to me. Kind of looks like a loaded baked potato from the picture, but I can see the squash part. Looks healthy! Good for you for being a creative cook, Ellen. Just like your dear ol' mom! :)

    ReplyDelete