Monday, July 9, 2012

Fishing!


     On Sunday I got to go fishing on the river with Rodney, Carrie, Elise, and Rob. Rodney is starting a fishing safari business in Kasane and offered to take us out on his boat Sunday afternoon. We had a great time just relaxing, cruising on the river, and fishing. Amazingly enough, this is the first time I have ever fished! It’s not quite as complicated as I thought it would be but unfortunately I didn’t catch anything. Carrie, however, caught a 15 lbs-ish catfish as the sun was setting! Apparently the catfish is not very tasty here (maybe they just don’t know how to prepare it correctly….), but it reminded me of the awesome catfish Uncle Tommy used to make. Luckily I’m not a huge seafood person, because that is one thing you don’t find a lot of here. The fish from the river are generally not the safest fish to eat because of the poor water quality. Not too huge of a loss for me as I’ve never been a huge seafood person except crabs. Anyways, I’ve always said I could never fish because I don’t have enough patience, and I think that’s pretty true. I went at it for probably 20-30 minutes, but after not catching anything, it gets pretty discouraging. Maybe I’ll give it another go eventually, but I’m content for now! 


1 comment:

  1. Haha. The first time I went fishing was in college. I agree - pretty boring :-P

    ReplyDelete