Monday, July 23, 2012

Brrrthday


      Well I must say that this has probably been my coldest birthday yet! Although it did warm up quite a bit during the day, this morning was probably at most 40 degrees F…. brrrrr it is winter! But anyways, I had a good day, Megan made a zucchini bread cake that was delicious and I turned zero according to the candle. Went to lunch at Chobe Safari Lodge, a beautiful and reasonably priced lodge right down the street from the center, with Carrie and Bronwen. I had a good old cheeseburger (I watched Supersize Me the other night and it seemed to have the opposite effect of really making me want a burger!) and it was ginormous. I have eaten sooo much over the past weekend!
      The highlight of my day so far has definitely been the package I received from mom and dad! I hadn’t gotten a slip in the mail telling me the package was there, so I decided to go check and make sure and sure enough, it was there! My mother seemed to know everything I wanted: a new sweatshirt (add a little variety to the two I brought), sunglasses (yayyyyyyyyyyy I’ve been complaining quite a bit about the poor selection here after I lost my other pair), a watch (fancier than any other watches I’ve had, still have to figure out how to work it), sticky notes, gum (I’ve been going through withdrawal), and of course sanitizing wipes….. not sure where that came from, but I can definitely use them. Complete with little Styrofoam squares with messages from the fam. Great job mom!
        Then we had a call to help capture a croc out of the sewage ponds at the wastewater treatment plant. Turns out we were just putting the cage out today and they will probably catch it tomorrow, but it was still interesting to see the wastewater treatment plant…. Quite the stench! Pretty reflection of the sunset off the water though…. Just ate a yummy dinner at Maria’s house with Claire and her friend Benjamin that is here visiting/working.  I came down to reception to get the internet to post this and treated myself to buying a new wallet that will actually fit poula and my passport in it (your passport is basically your ID for any foreigner here, must carry it at all times). It’s been a wonderful day, many thanks to all!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, for getting the box ON your birthday! One last happy birthday to you, even though you are probably sound asleep right now! Sweet dreams.
    Love, Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. yayayay! Glad mom sent you a nice package. Hope my card makes it eventually :-P :)

    ReplyDelete