Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Wildlife Weekend


     First off, happy Independence day, Americans! Not too much going on here, but I believe there will be a celebration this weekend with some fellow local United States-ians. On the other hand, July 1st was a public holiday here apparently the equivalent of President’s day, so we had Monday off work. We took this opportunity to spend the day in the park. Claire’s mom is visiting so she came with Claire, Kristen, Megan, and I to see what we could see! We went early in the morning and got to see two male juvenile lions within the first hour or so. Also saw tons of impala, giraffe, elephants, buffalo, hippos, crocs, and the usual variety of birds! We came out and made lunch at the guest house where Claire’s mom is staying, then went back in the afternoon to catch the sunset. It was beautiful! Unfortunately my camera died halfway through the day, so I didn’t get to take a ton of pictures, but I did get some pretty good ones!



    Rewind to Saturday. We went to a nearby farming village called Pandamatenga for an Agricultural show they were having there. There were lots of tractors, food, and a craft tent geared towards the local farmers. I bought a new ‘mobile’ with colorful beads that reflect sunlight to decorate my new home! (Okay, it might be a little eclectic, but it was one of those things I just had to buy) We stayed for a while and ended up driving home in the dark, leading us to many more animal encounters!! We saw lots of dikers (sp?), and other types of antelope I can’t remember, a hyena, side-striped jackal, cervil, and best of all, a leopard ran across our path!! It was really neat and unexpected so unfortunately I didn’t get any pictures, but it was still great! So that was my very wildlife-filled weekend! Check facebook for more pictures from the park. 


1 comment:

  1. So very cool Ellen. What an opportunity this is!! BUT a whole year??

    ReplyDelete