Monday, August 6, 2012

Spring is in the Air!


                Well, I think my blog posts are getting fewer as I get into a routine with work (and busier) and get used to life here. Things become slightly less novel, or seem less worth-sharing the longer I’m here, so feel free to ask me to talk about something if you’re interested. Last week I was able to bike in every morning and home almost every afternoon. It is so nice to have a little more independence with transportation, but it also means that people taking me home at night have to haul my bike everywhere too! It gets really frustrating having to be a burden on people with cars, but it is also a good way to get a feel for the challenges that most people that live here face every day, and most don’t even have friends with cars. 
                On Saturday I had the opportunity to house sit for a couple that has a beautiful home on the river. It is by far my favorite house here and I got to spend the afternoon and night there enjoying the beautiful view, internet, and a bit of the Olympics on the cable tv. Oh, and don’t forget the five dogs! It was a nice evening but I’m still debating whether it was worth being woke up every two hours during the night by the dogs. I think I prefer the comfort of my own home, but it was nice to be able to have a video Skype with the better internet connection. Apparently there have also been some break-ins along the river recently and this morning at the center we are dealing with a break-in. Luckily not too much was stolen but it is still quite frustrating as we can’t touch anything until the police can finish the report. It's holding up the ever-growing amounts of lab work we have to get finished before Dr. Alexander and the kids leave on Friday. It will be sad to see them go, I think the center will get much quieter (perhaps boring) in their absence. 
                The weather is turning slightly warmer. Reminds me of spring, although the mornings can still be quite chilly, it gets pretty warm during the day and it is reaching May/June-ish temps from home. I think winter is pretty much over with! These warmer, pretty days just lift your mood so much! Although at the back of my mind, I’m still very excited for the rainy season…..
          Last week we said bye to the sable that had been raised here at the center for the past year and a half or so. The wildlife department came to transport him into the park to be released. Below is a picture of Kennedy with Sabie just before he left. Kennedy is one of the workers that helps to take care of the animals and is responsible for feeding them every day, so he was especially sad to see his friend go. Good luck in the real world, Sabie!

No comments:

Post a Comment