Monday, August 20, 2012

Punkin


     So I found some pumpkin at Spar (grocery store) last week and since it was so cheap I decided to give it a whirl. I found an idea online of cooking it with tomatoes, onions, and garlic, then adding pasta to make a type of pasta salad. I decided to put a bit of my own spin on it with what I had… figuring out that you really have to work with what you have here because the grocery store will get in shipments of things then run out of it and you never know when there will be more! I realized that I couldn’t even cut into the huge quarter of a pumpkin I had (pretty much the same idea as from home, but green on the outside) so had to boil it down in a huge pot of water. While that was going I decided to cook the tomatoes, broccoli, and chicken in a dish in the oven. I used what little spices I have (garlic, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper…) but it still tasted like something was missing. I cooked some spaghetti (unfortunately the only pasta I had) and finally added the pumpkin. That probably would have tasted better if it had been cooked in the spices as well, but the final product turned out alright, not very pretty, but tasted decent. And now I have heaps of pumpkin mush to use….. I’m thinking pumpkin cookies later this week!

P.S. Puppy had to find another home - apparently rules at Kubu are a bit more strict than I thought! In the end, I think it's for the better, seeing as dogs 1) Cost money I'd rather not spend 2) Bring dirt into my tiny carpeted home without a vacuum and 3) make traveling by bicycle difficult. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh well you can revoke my previous comment about keeping the puppy... sad that it had to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the pupster. Punkin would have been a cute name. What did you do with her? Hopefully a good home?? I saw a Bermese Mountain dog puppy today at Pepper Jacks, that I fell madly in love with and now want one that does not grow up to be huge. To bad they don't make dwarf ones. Very adorable/beautiful coloring.

    ReplyDelete