Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Rain!

The center with the rain/thunder cloud behind, moving in!

Soooo I was going to write this blog yesterday morning about it actually being cloudy in Kasane, but I’m glad I held off cause sure enough, the clouds ended up turning into rain!!! There have only been clouds in the sky two days since I’ve been here so far, so it was pretty exciting to even have clouds, then they started building and looking more like rain clouds. Apparently this is how it usually occurs in rainy season, but according to some long-time residents it has NEVER rained in August before. Usually the rains don’t come until the end of October or November, with maybe a random early rain in September. It didn’t come down too hard in Kasane, but apparently there were pretty heavy downpours in Kazungula. It was quite exciting but just a teaser for the rainy season!  Not sure why, but it made it feel more home-y, guess it just reminded me of the humid summers back home. The air feels so much thicker now, I’m sure it’s nothing, but compared to the dryness I’ve become accustomed too, this humidity is suffocating! Even the plants have been fooled, this morning all the trees and bushes had a hopeful green glint and I smelled something blooming. Hopefully it doesn’t throw them off too much, cause I can see how it might be a problem to make everything think that the rainy season is starting when there are really two more months of dry dry heat. We’ll see! Weather everywhere seems to be going crazy….. but needless to say, I’m sure it will dry back up soon enough and we will be back to our hot hot summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment