Sunday, September 30, 2012

Boipuso

Happy Botswana Independence Day! This is THE holiday here – or just a great excuse to take several days off work. Independence day is technically today, paid holiday Monday, unpaid holiday on Tuesday, and last Friday was kinda a half day/extremely unproductive day. Lots of people travel and there’s also a big party in town with free food today. Apparently fights break out every year over the food so I’m just hanging out at the house that I’m house-sitting at for the evening!
    So there’s not much new stuff going on in my life, but it’s been quite a while since I’ve blogged so need to let everyone know I’m alive! It’s also an important milestone of my year: 4 months! WOW. One-third of the way through my year here. It has gone by so fast, which I’ve been thankful for but it is still amazing as every month passes I say how is it next month already?!?!? The other day I was looking at the calendar and thought, ‘ I can’t wait for October weather!’. Then I came to two realizations: 1) October was next week and 2) I will not be getting any autumn weather here…. Slightly disappointing considering that October is the dreaded, hot month.  We got rain last week though! I walked out of my door on Wednesday to go in to town for bible study and I thought, wow it smells like rain (yes, it is quite a strong smell here, especially when it hasn’t rained in so long!) then I look up in the sky and sure enough, there is a storm rolling in! It was really exciting, but when it rains here, it pours. And it’s usually accompanied by a thunderstorm (yay!). It was an unusually early rain, usually it starts towards the end of October. It was amazing how cool it got afterwards, such a relief from the increasingly hot days we are getting (in the upper 90s - 100s every afternoon). But when it is such a dry heat it doesn’t feel nearly as bad. The sun is extremely hot, hotter than at home. You can be outside for 20 minutes and come back in a shade darker (and feeling 20 degrees warmer).
      But anyways, enough about the weather and back to the four months. I’ve heard that the third and fourth month are the hardest, but I am finding that as I get more and more settled in, I am enjoying it more and more. I am just beginning to build relationships with people and feel like I belong here. It sometimes varies day to day, but overall I’m really happy with life here! Homesickness hasn’t really hit me much yet, but sometimes I will have moments where I miss certain things. The other day I was petting the horses near my house and realized how much I would loveee to get on the back of a horse again! And today I looked at a picture I have of my piano and got the urge to play piano so badly! I think I will have to break down and just play the keyboard at church sometime this week. Hopefully I’m not losing all of my piano skills.
      Last weekend was a pang of missing Corey’s wedding. Amazingly enough, my dad was able to get me skyped in to the wedding so I could catch some of the video and sound. It was awesome, but made me 1) miss Corey and Chelsea sooo badly and 2) make me feel so guilty for not being there!!! For financial and timing reasons, it wasn’t feasible to make the trip back, but it was an absolutely beautiful wedding, and they are going to re-enact it for me when I get back :-P (okay at least the vows and the kiss)
    Well, I am losing my focus so I think I’ll wrap this post up, but Happy Boipuso everyone! Until next time…

1 comment:

  1. Love and miss you. Don't feel like it is going fast AT ALL!! Seems like it's been eight months at least. Please don't get too comfortable there and not want to come back west to the east coast U.S. Remember the ocean?? The one you can get to in a couple hours by car!! You gotta miss that!!!!! I am going to book my flight without daddy if he doesn't do anything by this weekend!

    ReplyDelete