Wednesday, October 24, 2012

October Skies


You know it’s hot when:
- The hot water heater isn’t necessary at all. Cold showers twice a day are almost necessary
- You can use outside in the sun as a microwave for your lunch
- You are exhausted at the end of the day and you don’t really feel like you did anything
- Carrying an umbrella to block the sun is not abnormal at all
- 85F feels amazingly good and 77…. That’s just chilly
- Your skin turns a shade darker from being outside for 20 mins
- Sweat stains... oh yeah..... 

October is known as suicide month. Why, you might ask? Temperatures reach well into the 100's every day and there's not much break. I am extremely thankful that we have air conditioning at work. As long as you are sitting inside you forget how durn hot it is outside. That is until you go out to use the toilet and the heat hits you like a brick wall as you step out the door. Although we do a lot of work outside, you try to keep it to the mornings before it gets too too hot. 
   I haven't actually been bothered by it too much. Again, the aircon makes a ginormous difference. Plus, my house manages to stay at a reasonable temperature if I close it up during the day, another huge blessing. The one thing I am dying for is more rain! The past couple weeks we have seen more cloud cover (whoa, amazing) and a bit of rain. The other night we got massive thunderstorms (felt the ground shake while laying in bed) and that was awesome! I think if it rained every day for a week I would be perfectly happy right now. Can't wait til rain starts to come more often and we get the first 'official' rain (20 mL).
   So as you all enjoy the beautiful, crisp fall days in the U.S., just remember those of us permanently stuck in summer!

1 comment:

  1. If it's any constellation it's starting to get stinking cold here :/ I would soooo swap with you! In fact, when I am miserable out in the cold I reassure myself but repeating over and over "I'm going to Africa, I'm going to Africa" . . .

    ReplyDelete