Saturday, June 16, 2012

Divided


    Something I have been a bit surprised by here is how incredibly segregated this area seems to be. I think it is simply a result of the different cultures and overall lifestyle differences. I have met a lot of the local white community, who seem closely bonded, and a few from the local black community, but in general, things seem to stay pretty separate. The white people mostly own safari companies or lodges, are peace corp volunteers, or missionaries. Everyone I’ve met has been very nice so far, but it amazes me how we find comfort with people of our own color. I’ll admit that it is nice to know other ‘white-culture’ people, but I would also love to get to know other people in town. Granted, I’m not the most outgoing person, and although everyone is pretty friendly, lots of times white people are viewed as tourists or rich people in town, so you have to break that barrier. Seems to me that just being friendly does the trick! I think it will also become easier as I have more interaction with the kids and hopefully people in town when I get to spend more time there.
    It just so happens that the theme for d365 this week is ‘Divided?’ and I love the verse for today:

      "So we do not lose heart. Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure, because we look not at what can be seen but at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal.
     For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."

2 Corinthians 4:16-5:1

1 comment:

  1. It takes time to build those cross-cultural relationships. It can be "easier" to hang out with people who are like us - not necessarily color lines so much as culture/lifestyle. The more you can just hang out with people - women in the market or others in town - the more you will get to know them. Sometimes, locals are slow to invest in the friendship, because they think you won't want to know them or that you will just leave soon. The longer they see you around, the more likely they will be to reach out.

    Hang in there, and always keep trying. A smile, a greeting go a long way. Try to buy from the same market ladies - the ones that seem friendly - and take time to talk with them each time you go shop. It is so worth it!

    ReplyDelete