Saturday, May 26, 2012

Stuff


    I’ve been asked this question quite a few times: ‘What are you going to pack?’ Well, I suppose I’m just packing the things that I feel I would need to survive a year away from home. Clothes, toothbrush, toothpaste, a couple pairs of shoes, pictures of family and friends, computer, a few pens and pencils… the list goes on. I was happily surprised as I was packing my first suitcase and realized that more stuff would fit in there than I thought! Unfortunately, there is a 50 pound weight limit on my checked luggage, so that is the limiting factor (thank you to Chelsea for the idea to pack my pillow!)
    As I’ve been unpacking from school and repacking for Africa I’ve thought about the essentials. If you had to fit your life into one suitcase (granted, I’m bringing two), what would you pack?? First, I would have Hermione do that extendable charm thing…. But really, when it comes down to it, we don’t need that much! We tend to lose sight of that, I think, as we acquire more and more things to fill our nice spacious houses. I think my mom is hoping I learn this lesson and decide to get rid of all of my ‘stuff’ that is now being stored in our basement… But it is the lifestyle and mindset we have, I think. It’s important to think about the things you could live without!
   Unpacking from school also led to a lot of cleaning out. I finally had to go through the things that I’ve just been letting build up for four years… old keepsakes and school stuff. As I went through, I just kept thinking, ‘Will this mean anything to me in ten years?’ Lots of times the answer was no, so it would go in the trash, recycle or get-rid-of pile. I know that this is definitely NOT how everyone thinks about cleaning out, but that’s how I can tell for myself what is worth keeping and what isn’t.
Heading out tomorrow morning, ready to get there and sort everything out, but sad to say my last goodbyes! 

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea of simplistic living. Now to put it into practice! Can't wait to here about your arrival. Prayin you over that ocean.

    ReplyDelete